In 1983 Karen was given a lovely Belgian Tervuren by her soon to be husband. That set in motion what was to become an ongoing adventure in training and competing with dogs. In 2008 Maya, a 2 year old doberman, came into Karen’s life, sending her down a new path. Maya has severe anxiety causing her to be very dog aggressive. Being unprepared for these severe behaviors Karen sought the help of Leslie McDivett who taught her how to teach Maya new coping skills. That has since allowed Maya to participate in Agility, Weight Pull, Barn Hunt, Freesyle and Therapy Dog work. Earning several titles along the way. Karen continues to seek out more information educating herself on force free ways to help Maya and other dogs with similar problems. Karen now offers classes combining the teachings of Leslie McDivett, Grisha Stewart, and Dr. Karen Overall.
Karen has an impressive lists of accomplishments:
- 2009 St. Hubert’s National Ranking Award #1 Utility A Class with Diego
- (BT Manhattan God’s Open Window)
- Three UKC ultra dogs (Ultra dog #2, #3, and #19)
- AKC, UKC, and St. Hubert’s titles on multiple dogs.
- Titled obedience dogs through utility.
- Have perfect scores in both formal and rally obedience.
- Titled multiple dogs of multiple breeds in UKC weight pull since 2002, four with national rankings, one still holds record of “Highest Percentage per Body Pound” on wheels
- Currently a UKC weight pull judge
- President of Midwest Weight Pullers from 2003 to 2010
- Titled multiple dogs in agility
- Worked as assistant instructor for the Canine Training Center for seven years.
- Participate in the weekly pet therapy program at Ingham Medical Care Facility since 2007
- Currently has over 100 titles on multiple dogs, in Formal Obedience, Rally Obedience, Agility, Weight Pull, Lure Coursing, Drafting, Barn Hunt and Freestyle.